Our solution for acute and chronic wounds
Flaminal® can be used for acute and chronic wound types, or wounds at risk of infection: Flaminal® Hydro for slightly to moderately exuding wounds and Flaminal® Forte for wounds with moderate to high amounts of wound exudate.
What is Flaminal®?
Antimicrobial Enzyme System
How it works
Comprehensive care for exuding wounds
Flaminal® supports the natural healing of acute and chronic wounds. With its unique formulation, Flaminal® offers versatile wound management, provides continuous debridement, keeps the wound moist and offers antimicrobial protection to speed up healing process.
Benefits of Flaminal®
Why use Flaminal®?
- Versatile: suitable for various wound types.
- Safe: Flaminal® is non-toxic to healthy skin cells and wound tissue.
- Effective: addresses all aspects of TIMES wound assessment.
- Antimicrobial Protection: a unique mode of action.
- Can be used in all age groups
- Easy to Apply: suitable for any wound shape and size.
- Sustainable: no primary dressing to dispose of and no need for multiple products.
What makes Flaminal® different?
- Flaminal® combines an absorbent alginate with an antimicrobial enzyme system. 1,3
- The antimicrobial action of Flaminal® only takes place in the gel matrix, not on the wound bed. The enzyme system “kills” the bacteria that are absorbed in the gel matrix. 1
- Flaminal® ensures optimal wound conditions and supports wound healing from the start of treatment. 2
How to apply
Clean the wound following local protocols.
Choose which Flaminal® to start with according to exudate levels.
Use Flaminal® Hydro on slightly to moderately exuding wounds, Flaminal® Forte on moderately to highly exuding wounds.
Apply Flaminal® covering the entire wound bed with a sufficiently thick layer (e.g. 4-5mm).
Cover Flaminal® with the appropriate secondary dressing according to exudate levels.
Check the dressing daily.
The dressing with Flaminal® can remain in place as long as the gel structure is intact (1 to 4 days, depending on the amount of exudate).
Discover our products
Flaminal® comes in 2 formulations and different sizes
Flaminal® is available in a variety of sizes and in two different formulations: Flaminal® Hydro and Flaminal® Forte. This is to ensure Flaminal can be adapted to patient needs with regards to exudate levels, and the amount of product required for treatment.
Lower Alginate Content
For slightly to moderately exuding wounds
Higher Alginate Content
For moderately to highly exuding wounds
- Flaminal® Forte and Flaminal® Hydro should be used for moist wound healing, to treat acute or chronic wounds which have breached the dermis.
- Flaminal® Forte contains a larger amount of alginate and should be used on moderately to highly exuding wounds
- Flaminal® Hydro contains less alginate and should be used on slightly to moderately exuding wounds"
- Irrigate and clean the wound and the surrounding area thoroughly.
- Apply a thick layer (e.g. 4-5mm) of Flaminal®(Hydro or Forte).
- Cover with a secondary dressing.
- Renew Flaminal® (Hydro & Forte) whenever the gel structure is no longer intact (1-4 days, depending on the amount of exudate).
- Initially the wound may appear larger; this is a normal consequence of the debriding action of Flaminal®(Hydro & Forte) which causes dead tissue to be absorbed.
- The colour of the alginates (gel) may change slightly due to their natural origin. Colour changes have no effect on the quality of Flaminal® (Hydro or Forte). • Dry wax-like flakes (flakes of alginates) may be seen. This is OK if they are found on the wound borders as they will protect the wound from maceration.
- If the flakes appear in the wound itself, particularly with Flaminal® Forte, it might be because the wound is not producing enough exudate and you should change to Flaminal® Hydro.
The wound is too wet for Flaminal® Hydro and should be replaced with Flaminal® Forte, which is more absorbent. Ensure the secondary dressing is absorbent.
Flaminal® (Hydro & Forte) restores the bacterial balance in the wound and by continually removing necrotic material, it allows natural wound healing. Should the wound overgranulate for reasons other than infection or friction, stop using Flaminal® (Hydro & Forte) and keep the wound dry to reduce cell growth. Applying local pressure to the wound bed will also help reduce overgranulation.
Yes. Flaminal® contains two enzymes, glucose oxidase and lactoperoxidase. Glucose oxidase converts the available glucose, oxygen and water into peroxide ions. Lactoperoxidase converts the peroxide ions into reactive oxygen species. The reactive oxygen species created will destroy bacteria that are absorbed within the Flaminal® matrix. The antimicrobial mode of action of Flaminal only takes place in the matrix.
- De Smet, K. et al. Pre-clinical evaluation of a new antimicrobial enzyme for the control of wound bioburden. Wounds. 2009, 21(3): 65 - 73.
- Jones, J. et al. TIME to assess wounds - a clinical evaluation of FLAMINAL® (ZEIT für die Bewertung von Wunden - eine klinische Evaluierung von FLAMINAL®) Wounds UK. 2018, 14(3): 63 - 69.
- White, R, Linssen, E: Wundbettvorbereitung, T.I.M.E. und ein Enzym-Alginogel: Literaturübersicht und die klinische Praxis. Wund Management 2016, 10(2), 87 - 90.